Onion vs Red Onion: All Nutritional Differences
Where is more calories, protein, carbs - what is more healthy?
Fact 1: There is More Calories in Onion
At first glance, you can see that in onion is more calories than in red onion.
Onion has 40 kcal per 100g and red onion 33 kcal per 100g so it is pretty easy to calculate that the difference is about 21%.
In onion and in red onion most calories came from carbs.
See tables below to compare onion with red onion in details.
Fact 2: Onion And Red onion Nutrition Difference
Red onion vs Onion: Vitamins and Minerals Comparison
|per 100g||Onion||Red onion|
|Carbohydrates||9.34 g||6.1 g|
|Fat||0.1 g||0.4 g|
|Dietary fiber||1.7 g||1.7 g|
|Protein||1.1 g||1.2 g|
|Calcium||23 mg||25 mg|
|Magnessium||10 mg||8 mg|
|Phosphorus||29 mg||14 mg|
|Potassium||146 mg||121 mg|
|Sodium||4 mg||6 mg|
|Zink||0.17 mg||0.24 mg|
|Vitaminium B1 (Thiamine)||0.046 mg||0.03 mg|
|Vitaminium B2 (riboflavin)||0.027 mg||0.03 mg|
|Vitaminium B3 (Niacin)||0.116 mg||0.2 mg|
|Vitaminium B6||0.12 mg||0.1 mg|
|Vitaminium C||7.4 mg||6 mg|
|Vitaminium E||0.02 mg||0.12 mg|
|Beta karoten||1 mg||12 mg|
Less protein in onion
It is aslo easy to see see that in onion is less protein than in red onion.
There is 1.2g per 100g of red onion and 1.1g per 100g of onion so using simple math we can see that difference is about 9%.
More carbohydrates in onion
In onion is more carbohydrates than in red onion.
There is 6.1g/100g of carbohydrates in red onion and 9.34g/100g in onion so let me do the math for you again - difference is about 53%.
Less fat in onion
In onion is less fats than in red onion.
The tables above show us that there is 0.4g/100g of fats in red onion and 0.1g/100g in onion. In this case difference is about 300%.
- Carbohydrates9.34 g
- Fat0.1 g
- Dietary fiber1.7 g
- Protein1.1 g
100g | ounce | single piece | slice | cup | sliced
- 88% CARBS.
- 10% PROTEIN
- 2% FAT
Vitamins: red onion vs onion
- Vitaminium B1 (Thiamine): onion 53% more than red onion
- Vitaminium B2 (riboflavin): red onion 11% more than onion
- Vitaminium B3 (Niacin): red onion 72% more than onion
- Vitaminium B6: onion 20% more than red onion
- Vitaminium C: onion 23% more than red onion
- Vitaminium E: red onion 500% more than onion
- Beta karoten: red onion 1100% more than onion
Minerals: onion vs red onion
Compares of onion
- Onion vs Asparagus
- Onion vs Beetroot
- Onion vs Bitter Melon
- Onion vs Bok Choy
- Onion vs Broccoli
- Onion vs Butternut Squash
- see all compares of onion
Compares of red onion
- Calories from Onion
- Calories of Parsnips
- Calories in Peas
- Potato calories per 100g
- Pumpkin carbs per 100g
- Purslane protein per 100g
- Salad chicory fat per 100g
- How many calories does radish have?
- Calories in a half of salsify
- Calories in whole salsify
- Calories for one, two or more salsifies
- How much protein in shallot?