Potato vs Yam: All Nutritional Differences
Where is more calories, protein, carbs - what is more healthy?
Fact 1: There is Less Calories in Potato
At first glance, you can see that in potato is less calories than in yam.
Potato has 77 kcal per 100g and yam 108 kcal per 100g so it is pretty easy to calculate that the difference is about 40%.
In potato and in yam most calories came from carbs.
See tables below to compare potato with yam in details.
Fact 2: Potato And Yam Nutrition Difference
Yam vs Potato: Vitamins and Minerals Comparison
|Carbohydrates||17.49 g||27.88 g|
|Fat||0.1 g||0.17 g|
|Dietary fiber||2.1 g||4.1 g|
|Protein||2.05 g||1.53 g|
|Calcium||12 mg||17 mg|
|Iron||0.81 mg||0.54 mg|
|Magnessium||23 mg||21 mg|
|Phosphorus||57 mg||55 mg|
|Potassium||425 mg||816 mg|
|Sodium||6 mg||9 mg|
|Zink||0.3 mg||0.24 mg|
|Vitaminium B1 (Thiamine)||0.081 mg||0.112 mg|
|Vitaminium B2 (riboflavin)||0.032 mg||0.032 mg|
|Vitaminium B3 (Niacin)||1.061 mg||0.552 mg|
|Vitaminium B5||0.279 mg||0.314 mg|
|Vitaminium B6||0.298 mg||0.293 mg|
|Vitaminium B9 (Folic acid)||15 mg||23 mg|
|Vitaminium C||19.7 mg||17.1 mg|
|Vitaminium K||2 mg||2.3 mg|
|Beta karoten||4 mg||83 mg|
More protein in potato
It is aslo easy to see see that in potato is more protein than in yam.
There is 1.53g per 100g of yam and 2.05g per 100g of potato so using simple math we can see that difference is about 34%.
Less carbohydrates in potato
In potato is less carbohydrates than in yam.
There is 27.88g/100g of carbohydrates in yam and 17.49g/100g in potato so let me do the math for you again - difference is about 59%.
Less fat in potato
In potato is less fats than in yam.
The tables above show us that there is 0.17g/100g of fats in yam and 0.1g/100g in potato. In this case difference is about 70%.
- Carbohydrates17.49 g
- Fat0.1 g
- Dietary fiber2.1 g
- Protein2.05 g
100g | ounce | single piece | cup | sliced
- 88% CARBS.
- 10% PROTEIN
- 1% FAT
Vitamins: yam vs potato
- Vitaminium B1 (Thiamine): yam 38% more than potato
- Vitaminium B2 (riboflavin): yam 0% more than potato
- Vitaminium B3 (Niacin): potato 92% more than yam
- Vitaminium B5: yam 13% more than potato
- Vitaminium B6: potato 2% more than yam
- Vitaminium B9 (Folic acid): yam 53% more than potato
- Vitaminium C: potato 15% more than yam
- Vitaminium K: yam 15% more than potato
- Beta karoten: yam 1975% more than potato
Minerals: potato vs yam
Compares of potato
- Potato vs Artichoke
- Potato vs Asparagus
- Potato vs Bamboo Shoots
- Potato vs Beetroot
- Potato vs Pepper
- Potato vs Bitter Melon
- see all compares of potato
Compares of yam
- Calories from Potato
- Calories of Pumpkin
- Calories in Purslane
- Salad chicory calories per 100g
- Radish carbs per 100g
- Rhubarb protein per 100g
- Salsify fat per 100g
- How many calories does shallot have?
- Calories in a half of corn
- Calories in whole corn
- Calories for one, two or more corn
- Calories in tablespoon of corn
- Calories in teaspoon of corn
- How much protein in sweet potato?