Onion vs Yam: All Nutritional Differences
Where is more calories, protein, carbs - what is more healthy?
Fact 1: There is Less Calories in Onion
At first glance, you can see that in onion is much less calories than in yam.
Onion has 40 kcal per 100g and yam 108 kcal per 100g so it is pretty easy to calculate that the difference is about 170%.
In onion and in yam most calories came from carbs.
See tables below to compare onion with yam in details.
Fact 2: Onion And Yam Nutrition Difference
Yam vs Onion: Vitamins and Minerals Comparison
|Carbohydrates||9.34 g||27.88 g|
|Fat||0.1 g||0.17 g|
|Dietary fiber||1.7 g||4.1 g|
|Protein||1.1 g||1.53 g|
|Calcium||23 mg||17 mg|
|Magnessium||10 mg||21 mg|
|Phosphorus||29 mg||55 mg|
|Potassium||146 mg||816 mg|
|Sodium||4 mg||9 mg|
|Zink||0.17 mg||0.24 mg|
|Vitaminium B1 (Thiamine)||0.046 mg||0.112 mg|
|Vitaminium B2 (riboflavin)||0.027 mg||0.032 mg|
|Vitaminium B3 (Niacin)||0.116 mg||0.552 mg|
|Vitaminium B5||0.123 mg||0.314 mg|
|Vitaminium B6||0.12 mg||0.293 mg|
|Vitaminium B9 (Folic acid)||19 mg||23 mg|
|Vitaminium C||7.4 mg||17.1 mg|
|Vitaminium E||0.02 mg||0.35 mg|
|Beta karoten||1 mg||83 mg|
Less protein in onion
It is aslo easy to see see that in onion is less protein than in yam.
There is 1.53g per 100g of yam and 1.1g per 100g of onion so using simple math we can see that difference is about 39%.
Less carbohydrates in onion
In onion is less carbohydrates than in yam.
There is 27.88g/100g of carbohydrates in yam and 9.34g/100g in onion so let me do the math for you again - difference is about 199%.
Less fat in onion
In onion is less fats than in yam.
The tables above show us that there is 0.17g/100g of fats in yam and 0.1g/100g in onion. In this case difference is about 70%.
- Carbohydrates9.34 g
- Fat0.1 g
- Dietary fiber1.7 g
- Protein1.1 g
100g | ounce | single piece | slice | cup | sliced
- 88% CARBS.
- 10% PROTEIN
- 2% FAT
Vitamins: yam vs onion
- Vitaminium B1 (Thiamine): yam 143% more than onion
- Vitaminium B2 (riboflavin): yam 19% more than onion
- Vitaminium B3 (Niacin): yam 376% more than onion
- Vitaminium B5: yam 155% more than onion
- Vitaminium B6: yam 144% more than onion
- Vitaminium B9 (Folic acid): yam 21% more than onion
- Vitaminium C: yam 131% more than onion
- Vitaminium E: yam 1650% more than onion
- Beta karoten: yam 8200% more than onion
Minerals: onion vs yam
Compares of onion
- Onion vs Asparagus
- Onion vs Beetroot
- Onion vs Bitter Melon
- Onion vs Bok Choy
- Onion vs Broccoli
- Onion vs Butternut Squash
- see all compares of onion
Compares of yam
- Calories from Onion
- Calories of Parsnips
- Calories in Peas
- Potato calories per 100g
- Pumpkin carbs per 100g
- Purslane protein per 100g
- Salad chicory fat per 100g
- How many calories does radish have?
- Calories in a half of salsify
- Calories in whole salsify
- Calories for one, two or more salsifies
- How much protein in shallot?