Onion vs Shallot: All Nutritional Differences
Where is more calories, protein, carbs - what is more healthy?
Fact 1: There is Less Calories in Onion
At first glance, you can see that in onion is much less calories than in shallot.
Onion has 40 kcal per 100g and shallot 72 kcal per 100g so it is pretty easy to calculate that the difference is about 80%.
In onion and in shallot most calories came from carbs.
See tables below to compare onion with shallot in details.
Fact 2: Onion And Shallot Nutrition Difference
Shallot vs Onion: Vitamins and Minerals Comparison
|Carbohydrates||9.34 g||16.8 g|
|Fat||0.1 g||0.1 g|
|Protein||1.1 g||2.5 g|
|Calcium||23 mg||37 mg|
|Magnessium||10 mg||21 mg|
|Phosphorus||29 mg||60 mg|
|Potassium||146 mg||334 mg|
|Sodium||4 mg||12 mg|
|Zink||0.17 mg||0.4 mg|
|Vitaminium B1 (Thiamine)||0.046 mg||0.06 mg|
|Vitaminium B2 (riboflavin)||0.027 mg||0.02 mg|
|Vitaminium B3 (Niacin)||0.116 mg||0.2 mg|
|Vitaminium B5||0.123 mg||0.29 mg|
|Vitaminium B6||0.12 mg||0.345 mg|
|Vitaminium B9 (Folic acid)||19 mg||34 mg|
|Vitaminium C||7.4 mg||8 mg|
Less protein in onion
It is aslo easy to see see that in onion is less protein than in shallot.
There is 2.5g per 100g of shallot and 1.1g per 100g of onion so using simple math we can see that difference is about 127%.
Less carbohydrates in onion
In onion is less carbohydrates than in shallot.
There is 16.8g/100g of carbohydrates in shallot and 9.34g/100g in onion so let me do the math for you again - difference is about 80%.
The same amount of fats
There is the same amount of fat in onion and shallot - 0.1g/100g.
- Carbohydrates9.34 g
- Fat0.1 g
- Protein1.1 g
100g | ounce | single piece | slice | cup | sliced
- 88% CARBS.
- 10% PROTEIN
- 2% FAT
Vitamins: shallot vs onion
- Vitaminium B1 (Thiamine): shallot 30% more than onion
- Vitaminium B2 (riboflavin): onion 35% more than shallot
- Vitaminium B3 (Niacin): shallot 72% more than onion
- Vitaminium B5: shallot 136% more than onion
- Vitaminium B6: shallot 188% more than onion
- Vitaminium B9 (Folic acid): shallot 79% more than onion
- Vitaminium C: shallot 8% more than onion
Minerals: onion vs shallot
Compares of onion
- Onion vs Asparagus
- Onion vs Beetroot
- Onion vs Bitter Melon
- Onion vs Bok Choy
- Onion vs Broccoli
- Onion vs Butternut Squash
- see all compares of onion
Compares of shallot
- Calories from Onion
- Calories of Parsnips
- Calories in Peas
- Potato calories per 100g
- Pumpkin carbs per 100g
- Purslane protein per 100g
- Salad chicory fat per 100g
- How many calories does radish have?
- Calories in a half of salsify
- Calories in whole salsify
- Calories for one, two or more salsifies
- How much protein in shallot?